We acquired the 1975 Triumph TR6 from my wife’s mother. She had had the car since the early ’80s. She took the car from Washington to Michigan and finally to Florida where it sat garaged and unused. My wife drove this car when she was in high school, so when her mother offered it up, she was eager to bring it back home. We arranged to have it shipped back in 2009 and were overall very happy with its condition.
My first task with the Triumph was getting it to start. It cranked over fine, fuel was pumping, but there was no spark. A new set of points solved the problem and it started right up. This was when I realized that the clutch had rusted to the flywheel. A flatbed trip to the British repair shop got the clutch replaced and the car was drivable. Since then, I’ve replaced the seat foam and covers, the dash pad, removed the windshield surround and painted it, fabricated a new walnut dash, replaced the shocks at all four corners, converted to a spin on oil filter and installed a more powerful alternator.